Monday, March 1, 2010

Hidden Literacies In ACotton Field


Throughout the chapter, the author, Lillie Gayle Smith, talks about her memories working in the cotton fields as a minor even though it was not in the 18th and 19th century. She valued lessons from cotton picking during her childhood. Her lessons in the cotton field taught her how to "unearth" her true understanding of life, and how it is a privelage to stand where we are today. I feel like the over all message she gives in the chapter explains that there are literacies that can be taught better outside of the classroom. However, I related two of my past life stories in the chapter. There was a quote in the chapter that stated, "Marganilized and stigmated through the triple realities of race, class and gender." Even though we are not working in the cotton field, us, as African American women, are still being dehumanized in our communities, society, and even in public places. I can relate a personal life story to this quote to prove that it still goes on even in the 21st century. My senior year, as I was working in a clothes store in the mall, a mid - age black woman asked if she could used the restroom. I politely told her that our store does not provide restrooms for customers and there nearest one was in the food court. As I saw her circle the store, I could see that she was trying to find another sales associate, or maybe even a manager. When she found another sales associate, near me, she explained how she really needed to go to the restroom. As I looked down at her legs, I could see that she was menstrating, and then I glanced at her stomach. I begin to think if she was having a miscarrage because she was pregnant. As I went to get the store manager, I begin to explain to her what was going on, and how an abulance needed to be called. Without no hassle, she ran to the back, and grabbed brown paper napkins, and asked the lady may she politely wipe up the blood from the floor. What if it was another race? My second connection with the author is how her mother taught her how to value a dollar bill. Without spendong money unwisely, my mother always taught me that everytime somebody gave me some money, I should not want to just spend it so fast, and rather budget my money. I should be able to put some away for savings, and an emergency stash. She also taught me that any size amount that I did recieve, I HAD to put 10% in church. She explained and broke it down to me that in order to recievce you have to give.
-Sa'Myra Bradford

2 comments:

  1. I agree that literacy can be taught outside of the classroom. Like Smith she learned what it means to be functionally literate and street smart through working in the cotton fields. I believe that life's challenges often teach us the best lessons. Through them we grow and develop as a person, making sure not to make the same mistake twice.

    -Darcye S

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't get a chance to speak on this in class, but literacy can be taught out side of the class room, even if a person is not full educated. My great grandmother only had a third grade education, but she was trhe wisest, keen, woman I ever knew. I learned how to make a five dollar bill acgt as if it was a twenty. But it is certain things you can be taught by your elders, only if you let them.
    - Sa;Myra Bradford

    ReplyDelete