Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Woman To Woman

While in a remarkable interview, Christina Mc’Vay gives her inputs and thoughts about black women and literature. Mc’Vays expresses her opinions and thoughts about working with the African descent in the Pan – African department. She preferred working with the African American minority rather than her own ethnic race because she felt no connection when she taught black literature. She described it as talking about an “alien universe.”McVay talked about how languages in the black community could be so creative. She believes that our language, which we call “slang” comes from slavery as well the as the Jim Crow laws and the oral tradition. However, the current generation uses to shorten words or phrases. Some instances she make to help black women feel comfortable with their literature, is they have to make them feel a connection with their inner man, and heritage, beauty, and historical background and tradition. I made to connections with McVay. She first started off with a song by John Lennon, that her students believed were the Temptations, that stated, “Life is what happens to you while you’re busy making other plans.” McVay had a conversation at a bar with the coordinator of Communications Skills. She ended up working in the Pam African English Department. I felt a connection with her circumstance. I look at it as, when you have something else on your agenda, and it’s not what God has set for you, then you can’t go against his will. While in high school, I had my mind set for attending Clark Atlanta University. I only applied for two schools which were Spelman College and Clark Atlanta. Being accepted into Spelman and not Clark left me confused. However, attending Spelman has open up many doors for me. I have turned my life around, and has become more verbally, and religiously literate. Another connection I saw in the interview was that Joanne gave back to her students. As they were sowing knowledge into her, she was also giving them knowledge, opportunity, and wisdom. While growing up, my great-grandmother raised me. The things she showed in me, still rubs off as a young women. Now, I am able to give wise advice, wisdom, and skills to anyone who I see struggling in those areas.

9 comments:

  1. I found it interesting that you only applied to CAU and Spelman and was denied by CAU. I can relate to this because I either wanted to attend Fordham or Spelman. I was denied by Fordhamn but accpeted by Spelman and was left with an easier decison as to what school to attend. I also agree with the statment you made about going against God will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the part where you talked about going against God's will. I applied to ten different schools, but I only wanted to go to Spelman. a lot of people told me that it was too competitive and that I wouldn't be able to get in. I just continued to pray and trust in God.. ( although it was hard) I was so excited when I got in and it let me know that what God has for you is for you, rather you want it or believe or not.
    J.L.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you did a really good job with both writing this blog and explaining the connections you had to the text as well. Going against the path that God has set out for you is impossible, so we have to understand where McVay is coming from and respect what she does.

    ~Alaina Walton (Writer's of the Quilt)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too can connect with John Lennon's quote. I experianced my "plan" as I was applying and getting accepted into colleges and universities. I wanted to attend The Georgia Institute of Technology or Georgia Tech as it is commonly referd to. I was so wrapped up in that school. Of course I applied to other schools, HBCUs Clark and Spelman, Georgia State and The University of Georgia. But wilh all my heart I knew that I was going to Georgia Tech. I went to my pastorial staff at my church. I added a prayer request in my bulletin and many other ways I though would help. From that experiance which led me here at Spelman, allowed me to see that you may not always get what you think you need and want but when it comes down to it you are destined for your own greatness and that greatness begins where you would least expect it.

    Jasmine E. Williams

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am completely connected with you on this one! I truly believe McVay was put on this earth to sevre a special purpose. It takes a special kind of woman to be able to connect with AA studets like she does. We need more people like her to help increase the LITERACY rates in our community.I am excited that you acknowledge the fact the God has strategically placed you where He wants you to be as well. Keep walking by faith and you will reach you destiny in no time!

    -Danielle Winfrey

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. First I want to commend you for sharing your story with us. Second, I would love to ask Clark Atlanta's admissions office what they were thinking, but then again, they probably saw that you were and diamond in the rough and therefore, better suited to be a Spelmanite. I too think that in life we must allow God's will to come to pass, especially in times where we would want to contest it or seem confused by why certain situations played out in the manner they have. But as followers of His word we must remember the vow we took in His prayers [The Lord's Prayer] as we utter the words "Thy Kingdom come, thy will be done..." Ultimately, I'm glad to have you as my Spelman sister and is CAU should ever ask, simply respond saying "Oh Don't u WISH u were a Spelmanite Like ME!!!"
    ~ Taylor Hawkins

    ReplyDelete